This pasta really is the total package: Hearty, spicy, full of cheese, and bursting with carbs! All the qualities I look for in a friend.
That made no sense.
Anyway, you really will love this pasta, as you get a bunch of spicy deliciousness without a whole lot of effort. Actually all the kick from this dish comes from the blackening seasoning that you’ll use on the chicken.
Full disclaimer: this isn’t the best pre-bikini recipe so make this on your “cheat day”. ‘There’s nothing good about it, except for how good it is. It’s evil, ridiculous, and an affront to good sense…but look at the bright side: I did you a favor in lightening up a bit by adding half & half. If you’re feeling extra decadent use 3 cups of heavy cream and omit the half & half — up to you! You could probably add a few more veggies such as asparagus or frozen peas, or even a sprinkle of parsley, but this recipe can stand on its own.
Here’s how to make it:
- Four chicken breasts, slightly pounded (I prefer organic and air chilled) $9.00
- 1/4 C Blackening spice ($1.00)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil ($.10)
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic ($.10)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine ($.75)
- 2 cups heavy cream ($2.00)
- 1 cup half and half ($.75)
- 1 cup roughly chopped marinated sun-dried tomatoes ($1.50)
- 1 pound fettuccine ($2.00)
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan ($1.50)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion, for garnish ($.25)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Heat cast iron skillet over high heat Dredge the chicken breasts in the Blackening Spice Rub. Place in the cast-iron skillet. Blacken both sides of the chicken, 3 min per side
- Transfer the cast iron skillet to oven and bake 10 minutes
- While chicken bakes, In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and lightly brown it, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the wine. Pour in the heavy cream, bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce is reduced by half.
- Remove chicken from oven and let sit for 5 minutes. After cooling, slice it on the bias
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and chicken slices.
- Cook the fettuccine al dente, about 10 minutes or until al dente, Drain.
- When the cream sauce is at the desired consistency, stir in 1/2 cup of the Parmesan, the sea salt, pepper and pasta.
- Fold in pasta and garnish with extra cheese and sliced green onions