Unless you’re allergic to chocolate, I think anyone that dislikes Nutella should see a psychiatrist. It’s probably my favorite…um, condiment…of all time (peanut butter is a close second). Over the years I’ve experimented with several recipes involving the delicious hazelnut spread– crepes, cakes, cupcakes. I even tried to make a Nutella milkshake in my vitamix blender…major fail but I’m not giving up.
Alas I’ve come up with a recipe that is quick, easy and incorporates 5 simple ingredients that everyone should have readily available. These are best served a bit warm with a big glass of milk in a frosty glass.
- 1 C nutella ($3.00)
- 2 TBS brown sugar ($.05)
- 1 egg ($.25)
- 1/2 C flour + 1 tbs ($.40)
- coarse sea salt for sprinkling
TOTAL: $3.70 per batch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine all ingredients except for sea salt in a large bowl with electric mixer until well combined. Place dough in freezer for 8 minutes (don’t skip this step).
- After 8 minutes roll dough into approximately 1-inch balls, place on lightly greased baking sheet a few inches apart and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes until cookies are set, then transfer to a wire rack with a spatula. Generously sprinkle with sea salt. Enjoy.